Best Things to Do in and Around Darjeeling
There can hardly be any denying that when a hill station is given the sobriquet ‘the queen of hills’, there must be quite a number of things that work in its favour. Darjeeling is definitely that place! While you are there, there are certain things that you should do in order to be able to call the trip a success. Discussed below are such things.
- Get a Toy Train Ride – The famed toy train that plies between Darjeeling and the town of Ghoom gives you the chance to experience the Batasia Loop. The train makes 9 trips in a day to and from the two towns, so there is nothing for you to worry about as far as how you are going to return is concerned.
- Ghoom Monastery – While you are in Ghoom, one place that you definitely cannot afford to miss is the peaceful Yiga Monastery.
- Ghoom Railway Museum – Another place that should be on your sightseeing list in Ghoom is the Railway Museum there.
- Gorkha Bhawan – One place that you must see when you get back to Darjeeling is the Gorkha Bhawan, otherwise known as Bhanu Bhawan. The statue at the top of this building shows a Gorkha man with the traditional weapon called khukri in the hand.
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute – Founded by Tenzing Norgay, the HMI has a display of records of all the major expeditions undertaken.
- Himalayan Zoological Gardens – You should make it a point that you do not end up giving the Padmaja Naidu Zoological Park a miss.
- Rock Garden – This lovely place with a beautiful waterfall has to be one of the places that you see in Darjeeling.
- Bengal Natural History Museum – Finally, the Bengal Natural History Museum has to be on your list, especially if you have an interest in the fauna of the region.
As long as you remember that the Darjeeling tour packages that you choose from contains these places, you can be sure that the trip is going to be a memorable one.